With 2016 behind us, we now have a full New Year ahead. This is a great time to think about what we can do to help make our community(ies) stand tall in comparison to other parts of the country.
As residents of small towns or rural communities, here are a few simple things that could help tremendously:
- Keep your home and/or place of business neat and clean
- Tidy up your landscape (in the spring, plant some flowers)
- Pick up litter any time you see some in the street or in the ditches
- Before shopping out of town, stop and think where you could buy locally
- Encourage new business. If you know someone who has an entrepreneurial dream, help them realize it
- Patronize local service businesses. Keep as much of your business as local as possible.
- Dine at our local restaurants, pubs, sandwich shops, and fast food places. We have so many choices.
- Use our local parks and keep them clean
- Visit Fugate and James Woods – they are gems and open for public enjoyment
- Get involved in community meetings
“If all of us set some goals keeping these simple things in mind, we would truly make a difference for our small communities!” says Bobbi McKeon, owner of Heart’s Desire and coordinator of the Specialty Shop Group. Think about the difference we could make in the area’s:
- Small Town Appeal
- Business Community
- Financial Stability
- Community Camaraderie
“Don’t forget to attend the Fairbury Improvement Group meeting on Tuesday, January 17th at 7pm in the lower level of the City Hall,” continues Bobbi. “Even if you can’t attend, try to implement some of the goals listed above. Together, we will make a difference!”
As always, call Bobbi McKeon at (815) 692-4500 or email fairbury@fairburyILattractions.com with any stories, ideas or suggestions for interesting topics to write for our community.