Here it is almost Thanksgiving! With 2017 almost behind us, it is good to think about the past year and look forward to the new one. This is a great time to think about what we can do to help make our community(ies) stand tall in comparison to other parts of the country.
As residents of small towns or rural communities, here are a few simple things that could help tremendously:
- Keep your home and/or place of business neat and clean
- Tidy up your landscape (in the spring, plant some flowers, in the fall cleanup your yard)
- Pick up litter any time you see some in the street or in the ditches
- Before shopping out of town, stop and think where you could buy locally
- Encourage new business. If you know someone who has an entrepreneurial dream, help them realize it
- Patronize local service businesses. Keep as much of your business as local as possible.
- Dine at our local restaurants, pubs, sandwich shops, and fast food places. We have so many choices.
- Use our local parks and keep them clean
- Visit our public lands – Fugate and James Woods – they are gems and open for public enjoyment
- Get involved in community meetings
“If all of us set some goals keeping these simple things in mind, we would truly make a difference for our small communities!” says Bobbi McKeon, owner of Heart’s Desire and coordinator of the Specialty Shop Group. Think about the difference we could make in our areas’:
- Small Town Appeal
- Business Community
- Financial Stability
- Community Camaraderie
“We thank the Fairbury Improvement Group and all the business and residents who volunteered their time and resources to help our small town,” continues Bobbi. “2017 with all the improvements was a great year. Small contributions add up and yield great things. Together, we will make a difference!”
As always, call Bobbi McKeon at (815) 692-4500 or email fairbury@fairburyILattractions.com with any stories, ideas or suggestions for interesting topics to write for our community.