Here we are almost ready to embark on a New Year! It is exciting to think about the possibilities for our community.
Several months ago, the Specialty Shops group discussed setting goals to make more folks aware of what is available here and what an interesting place the Fairbury area is to visit. Some of the goals that were set have been reached. For example:
- Creating an attractions website: www.fairburyilattractions.com
- Creating a Facebook page: www.facebook.com/fairburyilattractions
- Distribute brochures to Welcome Centers across Illinois, other areas of interests along the Route 24 corridor, and other small communities with attractions, such as Arthur, Lacon, etc. plus Champaign, Bloomington, Peoria, and even Chicago.
- Hosting events to draw folks into town
Many of these goals have been achieve, at least to some degree. The website and Facebook page are active and almost 50,000 brochures have been distributed across the State.
From the shops perspective, these efforts have been working to bring new folks into town. One shop said that probably half of their visitors are now from out of town.
In 2015, the group would like to focus on continuing their efforts in spreading the word about the area. It would also like to branch out and include other communities along Route 24 as there are so many things to see in Forrest, Chatsworth, Chenoa, Gilman, Gridley, El Paso, Watseka and Washington. Wouldn’t creating a “road trip along Route 24” be an exciting adventure?
Other areas, the group would like to focus include:
- Networking with the farmers in the area to promote the unique “farm-to-table” efforts that are happening locally between our farmers and high-end Chicago restaurants.
- Create a self-guided tour with area shops, attractions and restaurants
- Bring folks into town by changing the billboards on either side of town on Route 24
- Enhance the look of our downtown – possibly with new façade on some of the buildings
- Host more events/festivals to create other reasons to visit our area
We have come a long way already, but of course, we still have a lot of work to do!
“Any input, feedback, ideas, or assistance from folks in the community is greatly appreciated,” say Bobbi McKeon, coordinator of the Specialty Shops group. “Without community support, we would not be where we are today!
“We are looking forward to an exciting year in 2015!”
Please call Bobbi at (815) 692-4500 or email
fairbury@fairburyILattractions.com with any thoughts.